The Hip Hop Democrat

Written by hiphopdemocrat in Hip Hop,Political,Social Issues,You Decide on Nov 3rd 2008

Jay-Z running for Mayor of New York City in 2009?

Well, according to an “Unnamed” political source, MediaTakeOut reported that they received information that Jay-Z is contemplating a 2009 Mayoral run.  Now to me……ITS ABSURD!!!

If there is any truth to this, then its sad to say politics is truly becoming a popularity contest. It started with Jesse “The Body” Ventura in Minnesota, Arnold Schwarzenegger in California, now Jay-Z in NY. Who would be the chief of staff Diddy?

Now being that Jay is by far one of my favorite Hip Hop artists, but I see nothing political about him. He’s done great things for the world, and local communities but that’s it as far as I know.

I just feel that if he does want to make a political impact there are other ways to do it. Lobby for specific causes like he did with bringing water to Africa, become more involved with laws that affect where he’s from.  Start lobbying first at least…lol

He might get 1,000,000 votes easily but is he really mayor material? He did a pretty good job at Def Jam but I don’t think that qualifies as experience for governing a City. Just my thoughts on the situation

P.S: Is it me or have there been TOO MANY “Unnamed“ Sources this election season?

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!!

[poll id="2"]

11 Comments

1. rick says:

In a culture (American) where the makings of a CEO are often confused for the makings of a statesman, I’ve heard worse ideas. He understands commerce issues and what people want, and consciously puts things in language that people can understand. This is one of the great traits of diplomacy. Who knows, given a chance he could be a generational Churchill.

2. shara says:

what has he done for the world and local communities that’s so great??…besides putting on some of the best concerts.

3. hiphopdemocrat says:

He’s done a lot for African communities from raising awareness for the conflict in Darfur, and the lack of fresh water there as well. Plus he’s done a lot for this election season. And he started the fund for Sean Bell’s kids, and he’s given away numerous scholarships,and has a foundation that does a lot of charitable and philanthropic endeavors.

4. debbie says:

america was stolen, then we came and builtit, they couldn’t raise their kids, we had to, the economy is messed up, we have to clean it up. we have a history of cleaning up their mess. if we can build a country we can run one.

5. THAT’S MY SON!!!!!!

JIGGAMAN SHOULD RUN; AND IF HE DID, HE PROBABLY MESS AROUND AND WIN. BUT THEN HE MIGHT DO SOMETHING CRAZY LIKE, I DON’T KNOW…A GOOD JOB. BUT AMERICANS PROBABLY JUST WANT SOMEONE WHO LOOKS LIKE THE RIGHT MAN.

6. [...] Hip Hop Democrat presents Jay-Z running for Mayor of New York City in 2009? posted at The Hip Hop [...]

7. COLLEGEBOY says:

I dotn think anyone would be ignorant and look at this from the view of they favorite rapper is a mayor. I think everyone will look at his accomplishments like someone commented about earlier….he may win if he decided to run. NEW YORK LOVES HIM!!!

8. MEGAMANFAN says:

imagine if russell simmons ran for mayor lmao

9. bbfeliz says:

wooooo go Jay-Z you can do it.

10. mandytasty says:

i HOPE he wins

this world is FINALLY making a change.!

11. mandytasty says: